Sparta is revolutionising the commodity trading industry with a B2B SAAS that does away with the Excel spreadsheets that traders have been working with for decades.
Just one year after launching the MVP, they have reached over 50 customers, received fantastic feedback and earned €2M in recurring revenue. They are therefore ready to grow the company. Are you a data and development lover and would you like to learn more about them? Read on :)
At the moment, the backend and data team are managing the infrastructure, and they want to start bringing in specialists to help address the new challenges facing the company: improving the current product and growing vertically towards other commodities.
The type of person they're looking for is someone who brings their experience to the table, who's hungry, and who helps them to continue to grow. A team player, who likes to share and learn in equal parts, and whose objective is to continue to grow and help the team to find solutions for each challenge. And of course, you'll always be given the freedom to do what you do best.
But let's take a look back at how they got to this point... ^__ ^
Felipe (CEO) and Miles (COO) decided to leave the world of oil trading in 2019, after working in this field for more than 35 years. Knowing that the wave of digitalisation, and new technologies had not yet reached the commodities trading market. Together with Luis (CTO), they decided to start Sparta, in order to automate, optimize, and increase the productivity of commodities traders.
To be a good trader, you have to know how to make decisions. To do so, you need to have all the relevant information at your fingertips so that you can take advantage of market opportunities and be faster than the competition. This is where Sparta has revolutionized the industry, as its platform not only aggregates the most relevant information, but also processes it and allows traders to communicate with their teams quickly and efficiently in the cloud. In addition, they allow trading firms to create their own databases featuring the most relevant historical information in order to learn from past experiences. This all takes place in the cloud and is therefore accessible from anywhere, meaning remote work is possible in a sector in which it is not at all common.
In late 2020, they launched their MVP on the web and on iOS, while in 2021, they focused on growing the team and developing the tool. They are now concentrating on continuing to grow, expanding into other markets and using all the data that, currently, they alone possess.
In 1 month
The first month will be about settling into the team, getting to know people and getting used to work 100% remotely (if you don't have previous experience with this). They want you to have a say and will value the feedback you can give them about the way they do things, right from day one. Every member of the team is important for Sparta's growth and, of course, they want you to help them evolve all aspects of the organization.
During the first month, you'll become familiar with the dynamics of the team and the market in which they operate. You'll also be introduced to the product dynamics, and the backend and data team will introduce you to the infrastructure already deployed.
Helping implement and maintain the AWS infrastructure.
Design future changes for the architecture.
Suggest improvements based on metrics and your experience.
Monitor the services already deployed and create alarms for situations of underperformance.
Manage overall system security and administer access accounts to the infrastructure.
Introduce new technology to improve the speed, efficiency, and reliability of our platform and you will tune existing tools to improve our developer experience.
Drive the automation of the development and deployment processes via a range of new technologies and techniques
Help manage infrastructure costs and plan for future expenditure.
Maintain and optimize the different integration and continuous deployment environments.
Improve internal tools in order to increase development productivity.
The technical team consists of two multidisciplinary squads focused on different parts of the product, and one team focused on data. You'll join one of these squads and you’ll be the anchor point of the infrastructure.
The product teams are managed through SCRUM. You'll join a product team in order to provide support in the area of infrastructure and help address its needs. However, you'll also join a multidisciplinary team alongside the CTO in order to contribute your expertise to the development of the roadmap, and to propose solutions and improvements to the current infrastructure.
At Sparta, staff really DO enjoy flexible working hours. The only thing they ask is that all members of the team are available during a particular time slot so that you can coordinate (you know, the daily, the Retro, meetings to discuss decisions, and so on.
Sparta began as a 100% REMOTE company. Felipe is based in Geneva, Miles in London and Luis in Basel and from that structure they have been growing.
The team is distributed throughout Spain, the UK and Switzerland and they strongly believe in the advantages of working remotely and in work-life balance:)
However, your expenses will be covered if you'd prefer to work in a co-working space.
What's more, they plan to meet up in person from time to time in a chosen location, so that it's not all virtual. Whenever they get together it is always a great success!
The team is well-balanced, experienced, and well-oiled ❤️🔥. New staff will be added, but to date, the team consists of 20 people making the product a reality :).
- Felipe Elink (CEO) - Has more than 15 years of experience in oil trading, particularly petrols and biofuels in BP and Gunvor (the fourth largest oil trading company in the world). He's Spanish, married and has three children.
- Miles Moseley (COO) - Has 20 years of experience in petrol trading at BP. He's English, married and has two children.
- Luis Ibáñez (CPO) - Has spent ten years working as a programmer and another five managing development teams. He has worked in Spain, London and Switzerland. His latest venture was with Roche Pharmaceuticals. He has twice built teams from scratch and his ideas for keeping team members happy involve doing everything he expected to be done when he was a programmer.
- Miranda Chong (VP of Data) - She has spent the past 13+ years working with all things data. She is passionate about leveraging data to create insights, with hands-on experience in building and productionising data pipelines and machine learning models. For the past 7 years she has built, mentored, and managed large and small teams, in various technology-driven domains, and in corporate and start-ups alike. Her role in Sparta is to build out the data capabilities and long-term roadmap to support Sparta's growth strategy.
- Paul Laight (CTO) - He has 20 years of experience building highly complex products, platforms, companies and teams within the FinTech space.
- Javier López (Staff Data Engineer) - Javi is a born leader. With almost ten years of experience as a programmer in backend, machine learning and big data, he is key to the evolution of Sparta's product as well as to the medium-and long-term vision of the team.
- Carlos Pérez (Senior Data Engineer) – Expert Data Engineer. With more than 15 years of experience, Carlos is a key member of the Data team. Since joining the team, he has helped to improve the algorithms for real-time data cleansing and data management.
Among them, there are some real manfredites... And more coming soon 😉.
They have asked us to find a new SRE who has:
- At least 4-5 years of experience working as an AWS Architect in a Linux enviroment:
- Experience with CDK or another code-based infrastructure creation and deployment tool.
- Experience with Amazon MSK (Kafka)
- Experience in designing high availability architectures.
- An advanced level of English: Sparta is a multinational company. The product team is based in Spain, but it also operates in Switzerland, the UK and the USA, and lots of meetings are in English.
- Solid understanding of security best practices.
- Production monitoring and alerting of micro-service-based systems.
You'd blow their minds if you also...
- Have experience in trading or fintech.
- Have worked in a start-up during its growth phase
Ability to give feedback
Adaptability to change
Capacity for self-management
Good intercultural communication
Flexible working hours, although they want to coincide with the rest of the team for four working hours.
Medical and dental insurance on a reimbursement basis.
23 days holiday
And also... 👀👇
Possibility to choose your devices
Dynamics and teambuilding events
Budget for training
Budget for coworking
Yes, but for administrative reasons, they can manage recruitments in Spain, the UK and Switzerland.
NO. The team is spread over locations from Cordoba to London, from Valencia to Basel.
They organise occasional face-to-face events lasting a couple of days and hope that you'll want to attend. Of course, they'll cover the cost of these trips :)
No, they're a very agile team and this is reflected in the process itself.
- There'll be an initial meeting with the CTO so you can get to know each other.
- The second phase involves meeting with the technical team to discuss technical issues and replicate the working dynamics.
- Final interview, with either the hiring manager or the Chief People Officer. :)