Java Backend Developer
At SMART Technologies, they’re pioneers in technologies that help millions of teachers and students to make learning more fun.
With COVIDgeddon, the demand for better educational tools has grown and SMART Technologies need the nimble fingers and the structured mind of a Senior Backend Developer for their digital learning platform, Lumio ✋. Are you up for it?
You’ll help their Content Services team to create services that provide support for their range of products such as their SMART whiteboard, Notebook desktop application and digital learning platform, Lumio.
But before getting down to the nitty gritty, I want to give you a little more context: they’re a Canadian company which is listed on the NASDAQ stock market and, if you haven’t had the chance to use their products, you might not know that they were pioneers in the concept of Smart Boards and Interactive Whiteboards.
Quality software has always been a part of their DNA🧬, uploaded at the outset to their hardware. It then evolved, so they could create interactive learning experiences and materials that could be used by anybody. As well as the software that’s needed for a finger to be able to write on a whiteboard, or for a board to be connected to the Internet, they’ve spent years working on software solutions such as Notebook for desktops and Lumio which is the virtual learning environment on which your team is focused.
With classrooms being closed around much of the world, the concept of taking learning to people’s homes (parents included) and companies being forced to work remotely (and in fact, anywhere) from one day to the next, has rapidly evolved. At SMART, after the anticipated return to classroom learning, they want millions of people to get the best out of online tools and face-to-face contact in classrooms.
At SMART, you’ll work in a team of people who are truly dedicated to their work, making the necessary architectural and technical decisions in order to create new features. You’ll work with the Product, Marketing, Education and Systems teams, as well as the rest of the company, to improve the way in which teachers teach worldwide and the way in which families learn.
In 1 month
You will have already met the team, and you will have caught up on the architecture and how it works internally. In order to start giving value to the team, you will have your work environment prepared and all the necessary permits. With all this, you can start to take some of the tasks from the backlog.
Participate in the whole lifecycle of the software.
You will develop always thinking oriented to make a product with good performance, robust and scalable.
Quality is essential, so you will ensure it, writing unit tests, applying TDD and working with the quality team, to provide the best implemented solutions.
You will implement the security and protection mechanisms for the data handled by the application.
You will evaluate and choose new technologies and libraries that will be incorporated into our products.
You will participate in code-reviews so you can constantly learn from everyone on your team.
As a company that was conceived in Canada, their HQ is based in Calgary (Alberta state) and a significant part of their team are in Seattle (Washington state). They also have teams spread across the world, so you’ll do it:
- 100% remotely.
- With autonomy, day to day, but coordinating ideas and efforts with the team.
- With great pros from different countries (in their corresponding time zones) and cultures who communicate with each other in English.
Within SMART, every team has its own delivery deadline, but they use the same development process. They work in Scrum on sprints of 2-4 weeks, depending on the team. Content Services will be your team, which works in sprints of 3 weeks.
They have a flexible schedule, which helps to reconcile. Suitable for early risers and sleepyheads. You will have to bear in mind the team you work with, but you will have autonomy and flexibility to adapt your working day to your personal life. They work in an async way, but they have an overlap hour with the Canadian teams, from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., which they occasionally use for synchronization meetings.
This position is 100% remote, so as long as you are sure you have a good connection, it doesn't matter where you are working from!
From time to time they meet up (at least two times a year), so they will invite you to celebrate a party or feast.
SMART Technologies may sound like a huge multinational firm, and they are in terms of their products and influence, but they’re not a gigantic company where you could feel lost. The “core” team is in Calgary, a lovely city in Canada, 🍁 and Seattle, in Washington.
They’re growing in Spain (in case you hadn’t already worked that out after reading this offer😜). There’s currently 10 employees and they’re counting on your experience in the team. Here’s a little intro to them:
- David Cuesta (Software Development Manager): the Development Manager for SMART Technologies in Spain. A top-notch Agile expert and co-organiser of Agile events such as the Big Agile Open Space (BAOS).
- Ravi Jandhyala (Software Development Manager) is the global Development Manager, so you’ll get chance to work with someone who has been with SMART for 7 years and who’s been certified in Java ever since certificates have been issued by Sun Microsystems.
- Juan Miguel Duran is one of the Senior Managers in Software Development Testing. Juan Miguel is an ace at testing APIs and anything that’s not :). He gained experience in numerous international companies and in various industries including aerospace, security, banking and communications - he’s tested everything!
- Kelsey Hawley (Backend Developer) started through an internship, and she’s developed her career at SMART by moving from the Frontend to the Backend team.
They’re asking for someone who is SENIOR. This is not so much about experience in terms of the number of years, but experienced in distributed services, where you’ve had to turn systems and the architecture upside down to optimise performance by designing data structures, etc. Here are some of the requirements that you should meet:
- That you’re able to communicate well in English, both orally and in writing.
- Experience in developing web services in Go and/or Java
- You understand and have implemented TDD and best practices from SOLID principles, design patterns, testing... Up to CI/CD. But an agility brought 100% to software development.
- Experience deploying applications in Cloud environments (even better if it is AWS).
- You have designed and employed pipelines for continuous integration and deployment.
It would be great if you also have:
- Worked with Amazon Glue and Amazon RDS
- Data analytics systems come in your backpack
- You have designed always-on architectures
At SMART they work to improve the way millions of people learn and collaborate, so technologies will change, but they trust that you, as a senior, will contribute to that change.
This would be good
This gives extra points
Capacity for self-management
Good verbal communication
Attention to detail
This would be good
Resistance to frustration
Good intercultural communication
This gives extra points
💰 €150/month to compensate for remote working.
📡 100% remote working, as the team in Spain grows, they’ll be looking at how to improve contact.
🕓 Flexible working hours (except for the contact hours with the team indicated in “When you'll work”).
💻 By default, the team works with 16 GB RAM MacBook Pro 16-inch laptops, but you may also choose Linux or Windows.
🏖️ 25 days of holidays.
Normally, Christmas week is classed as holidays. It’s not written into the contract, but if the year has gone well, the execs send out an email to tell everyone that holidays will be from 24th to 31st and they close the offices and headquarters.
🗺️ There’s no established career path. The managers are responsible for helping members in their team to grow into the positions that they’d like.
💂 They currently use Udemy for Business in their department.
🐱💻 At SMART, they host corporate “Hackathons” (2 or 3 times a year) during which the development team are freed up from their normal duties so you can take full advantage of them.
Internal training events
Dynamics and teambuilding events
The truth is they need to cover the position ASAP or simply put, “by yesterday,” so they're trying to make it as speedy as possible.
Normally, their recruitment process consists of the following phases:
- Cultural fit interview (in English)
- Technical interview with two people from the team
- Technical test
- Share the test with the team
- Final interview with Ravi and the Offer
For administrative reasons, it’s not possible at this time ;-)
Which one would you like to go to? They have one in Calgary, one in Seattle...but the answer is no.
This role is remote and there are no plans for you to have to visit their offices.
They’re looking into the use of a coworking space in Spain for one-off meetings.