Software Test Developer
SMART Technologies helps educators and businesses succeed all over the world. SMART’s technology empowers teachers, students and teams to learn and collaborate in innovative ways, inspiring breakthroughs – from improved learning outcomes to moving businesses forward.
You’ll help their Lumio front end teams tasked with testing and developing new functionality, as well as maintaining and supporting the existing, publicly available product.
The ideal candidate has experience in automation and manual testing of web applications, but fast learners are also welcome.
If you haven’t had the chance to use their products, you might not know that they were pioneers in the concept of SMART Boards and Interactive Whiteboards.
Quality software has always been a part of their DNA🧬, uploaded at the outset to their hardware. It then evolved, so they could create interactive learning experiences and materials that could be used by anybody. As well as the software that’s needed for a finger to be able to write on a whiteboard, or for a board to be connected to the Internet, they’ve spent years working on software solutions such as Notebook for desktops and Lumio which is the virtual web based learning environment on which your team is focused.
At SMART, you’ll work in a team of people who are truly dedicated to their work, making the necessary architectural and technical decisions in order to create new features. You’ll work with the Product, Marketing, Education and Systems teams, as well as the rest of the company, to improve the way in which teachers teach worldwide and the way in which families learn.
En 1 mes
You will have already:
- Met the team (daily standups, regular 1:1 with mentors and manager), played with SMART’s Products (Notebook and Lumio), introduced to the development (Sprint Planning/Retrospectives) and testing process/environments.
- Learned how to use the basic web testing and development tools.
- Raised your first bugs, completed tasks and shadowed stories with an experienced tester.
- Completed your local machine setup to run local automation.
Participating in project concept meetings to determine test requirements.
Preparing test procedures, documentation, and test reports.
Designing and automating functional, performance and other tests (Test Developer roles).
Exploratory testing for individual components or features.
Identifying, documenting, and tracking bugs to resolution.
Communicating and summarizing status to the project team.
As a company that was conceived in Canada, their HQ is based in Calgary (Alberta Province) and a significant part of their team are in Seattle (Washington state). They also have teams spread across the world, so you’ll do it:
- 100% remotely.
- With autonomy, day to day, but coordinating ideas and efforts with the team.
- With great pros from different countries (in their corresponding time zones) and cultures who communicate with each other in English.
Within SMART, every team has its own delivery deadline, but they use the same development process. They work in Scrum on sprints of 2-4 weeks, depending on the team. Lumio-CDC will be your team, which works in sprints of 2 weeks.
They have a flexible schedule, which helps to reconcile. Suitable for early risers and sleepyheads. You will have to bear in mind the team you work with, but you will have autonomy and flexibility to adapt your working day to your personal life. They work in an async way, but they have an overlap hour with the Canadian teams, from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., which they occasionally use for synchronization meetings.
This position is 100% remote, so as long as you are sure you have a good connection, it doesn't matter where you are working from!
From time to time they meet up (at least two times a year), so they will invite you to celebrate a party or feast.
SMART Technologies may sound like a huge multinational firm, and they are in terms of their products and influence, but they’re not a gigantic company where you could feel lost. The “core” team is in Calgary, a lovely city in Canada, 🍁 and Seattle, in Washington.
They’re growing in Spain (in case you hadn’t already worked that out after reading this offer😜). There’s currently 20+ employees and they’re counting on your experience in the team. Here’s a little intro to them:
- Daniel Beg (Senior Software Test Developer in Calgary) is a Frontend Software Test Developer on the Lumio-CDC team. Dan started at SMART 12+ years ago and has worked on multiple SMART products.
- Juan Miguel Duran (Senior Software Test Developer in Spain) is a Backend Software Test Developer on our Content Services team. One of the first members of the Spanish test team to join SMART amid the pandemic in September of 2020.
- Johnson Wong (Software Test Manager in Calgary) started at SMART 12+ years ago, has worked on multiple SMART products, working to improving the web testing process and releasing multiple core functionalities of our products.
They’re asking for someone who has experience working with web testing and automation and quality assurance experience. Here are some of the requirements that you should meet:
- Previous industry experience in software testing.
- Experience with test automation, software development, scripting.
- Experience with UI and usability testing.
- Experience with web software testing.
- iOS and Android device testing.
- Windows and Mac Operating Systems.
- Git workflow, commands, and tools such as SourceTree.
It would be great if you also have:
- Worked with Chrome Developer Tools.
- Exposure to open source testing tools such as RobotFramework, Python, Selenium.
- Some experience with Azure DevOps.
Atención al detalle
Autonomía en el aprendizaje
Adaptabilidad al cambio
💰 €150/month to compensate for remote working.
📡 100% remote working, as the team in Spain grows, they’ll be looking at how to improve contact.
🕓 Flexible working hours (except for the contact hours with the team indicated in “When you'll work”).
💻 By default, the team works with 16 GB RAM MacBook Pro laptops.
🏖️ 25 days of holidays.
Normally, Christmas week is classed as holidays. It’s not written into the contract, but if the year has gone well, the execs send out an email to tell everyone that holidays will be from 24th to 31st and they close the offices and headquarters.
🗺️ There’s no established career path. The managers are responsible for helping members in their team to grow into the positions that they’d like.
💂 They currently use Udemy for Business in their department.
🐱💻 At SMART, they host corporate “Hackathons” (2 or 3 times a year) during which the development team are freed up from their normal duties so you can take full advantage of them.
Due to legal reasons, it's not possible 😊
They need to find someone for this position ASAP, so they will be very quick. His selection process have two rounds of interviews:
- Johnson and Juan
- Johnson and two mentors of the team.
Which one would you like to go? They have offices in Calgary, Seattle,... But the answer is NO.
This position is fully remote, and you won't have to go to the office.
They're thinking on having a co-working space for some specific meetings.