Senior Backend Developer | Data Oriented
At SMART Technologies, they’re pioneers in technologies that help millions of teachers and students to make learning more fun.
With COVIDgeddon, the demand for better educational tools has grown and SMART Technologies need the nimble fingers and the structured mind of a Senior Backend Developer for their digital learning platform, Lumio ✋. Are you up for it?
Before getting down to the nitty gritty, I want to give you a little more context: they’re a Canadian company which is listed on the NASDAQ stock market and, if you haven’t had the chance to use their products, you might not know that they were pioneers in the concept of Smart Boards and Interactive Whiteboards.
You’ll help their Data Platform team to create the services that recollect and process usage information for their range of products such as their SMART whiteboard, Notebook desktop application, and digital learning platform, Lumio.
Quality software has always been a part of their DNA, uploaded at the outset to their hardware. Then, it has evolved. So they could create interactive learning experiences and materials that could be used by anybody.
With plenty of schools and classrooms being closed around the world and companies being forced to work remotely (and in fact, anywhere), the concept of learning and working at home has rapidly evolved overnight.
At SMART, after the anticipated return schools, they want millions of people get the best out of online tools and face-to-face contact in classrooms. You’ll work in a team of people who are truly dedicated to their work, making the necessary architectural and technical decisions in order to create new features. You’ll work with the Product, Marketing, Education and Systems teams, as well as the rest of the company, to improve the way in which teachers teach worldwide and the way in which families learn.
En 1 mes
You will have already met the team, and you will have caught up on the architecture and how it works. In order to start giving value to the team, you will have your work environment prepared and all the necessary permits. With all this, you can start to take some of the tasks from the backlog.
You will participate in the whole lifecycle of the software.
You’ll always develop a robust and scalable product taking into account performance.
You will write unit tests, apply TDD and you’ll work with the quality team, to provide the best implemented solutions.
As quality is essential, you will also participate in code-reviews so you can constantly learn from everyone on your team.
You will implement the security and protection mechanisms for the data handled by the application.
You will evaluate and choose new technologies and libraries that will be incorporated into their products.
As a company that was conceived in Canada, their HQ is based in Calgary (province of Alberta) and a significant part of their team are in Seattle (Washington state). They also have teams spread across the world, so you’ll do it:
- 100% remotely.
- With autonomy, day to day, but coordinating ideas and efforts with the team.
- With great pros from different countries (in their corresponding time zones) and cultures who communicate with each other in English.
Within SMART, every team has its own delivery deadline, but they use the same development process. They work in Scrum on sprints of 2-4 weeks, depending on the team. Data Platform will be your team, which works in sprints of 2 weeks.
As the team in Spain grows, they’ll be looking at how to improve contact to meet and share some ideas with a beer 🍺
They have a flexible schedule, which helps to reconcile. Suitable for early risers and sleepyheads. You will have to bear in mind the team you work with, but you will have autonomy and flexibility to adapt your working day to your personal life.
They work in an async way, but they have an overlap hour with the Canadian teams, from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., which they occasionally use for synchronization meetings.
This position is 100% remote, so as long as you are sure you have a good connection, it doesn't matter where you are working from!
From time to time they meet up (at least two times a year), so they will invite you to celebrate a party or feast.
SMART Technologies may sound like a huge multinational firm, and they are in terms of their products and influence, but they’re not a gigantic company where you could feel lost. The “core” team is in Calgary, a lovely city in Canada, 🍁 and Seattle, in Washington.
They’re growing in Spain (in case you hadn’t already worked that out after reading this offer😜). You’ll work with a team that is charged of a the data platform product. Here’s a little intro to them:
- Jesse Henn is one of the Principal Developers in Product Development. He has been leading the Data Platform team since its inception. With more than 14 years at SMART, he has seen it all within the organization. He is based in Calgary, Canada.
- Jason Louie (Senior Test Developer) is the one making amazing automations to give more confidence to the things we develop. He has been working at SMART for over 7 years. Also based in Calgary, Canada.
- Robyn Dunne (Data Scientist) works closely with the Data Platform team to shape what our data stores look like. She is able to take the raw data that we’re collecting and convert it into helpful insights for the company. Based in Vancouver, Canada and has been at SMART for over 3 years.
- Juan Daniel Hidalgo (Senior Backend Developer) started at SMART amid the pandemic in September of 2020. He has also been a part of the Data Platform team for much of his tenure in SMART. He is based in Malaga, Spain.
They’re asking for someone who is SENIOR. But this is not about the experience in terms of number of years, but preferably experienced in designing and developing cloud native services (such as AWS), where you’ve had to turn systems and architecture upside down to optimize performance by designing data structures, etc.
Here are some of the requirements that you should meet:
- You’re able to communicate well in English, both orally and writing
- You’ll have a good understand of software principes. You’ll work with Python and Scala, but you can bring experience in other languages.
- You’ll understand and have already implemented TDD or best practices such as SOLID principles, design patterns, testing...
- You’ve experience deploying applications in cloud environments (even better if it is AWS ;)
- You have designed and employed CI/CD pipelines for continuous integration and deployment.
It would be great if you also have:
- Worked with Amazon Glue and Amazon RDS
- Data analytics systems knowledge in your backpack
- Designed always-on architectures.
At SMART they work to improve the way millions of people learn and collaborate, so the technologies will change, but they trust that you, as a senior, will contribute to that change.
Autonomía en el aprendizaje
💰 €150/month to compensate for remote working.
💻 By default, the team works with 16 GB RAM MacBook Pro 16-inch laptops, but you may also choose Linux or Windows.
🏖️ 25 days of holidays. Normally, Christmas week is classed as holidays. It’s not written into the contract, but if the year has gone well, the execs send out an email to tell everyone that holidays will be from 24th to 31st and they close the offices and headquarters.
🗺️ There’s no established career path. The managers are responsible for helping members in their team to grow into the positions that they’d like.
💂 They currently use Udemy for Business in their department.
🐱💻 At SMART, they host corporate “Hackathons” (2 or 3 times a year) during which the development team is freed up from their normal duties so you can take full advantage of them.
Eventos de formación internos
Dinámicas y eventos de teambuilding
Por temas administrativos no es posible en esta ocasión ;-)
La verdad es que necesitan cubrir la posición ASAP o en román paladino “para ayer”, por lo que tratarán de ser los más ágiles posibles.
Normalmente, su proceso de selección consta de estas fases:
- Entrevista cultura (Inglés)
- Entrevista técnica con dos personas del equipo
- Prueba técnica
- Compartir la prueba con el equipo
- Entrevista final con Ravi y Oferta
¿A cuál de ellas te gustaría ir? Tienen en Calgary, Seattle… pero la respuesta es No.
Esta posición es en remoto y no está previsto que tengas que ir a las oficinas.
Está en estudio habilitar un co-working en España para reuniones puntuales.