Observability Engineer / SRE
Bonhams is an auction house with almost 230 years of history! It has presence all over the world and, like in any business, they need to adapt to the times. That's why they are growing (non-stop) in the area of technology. 🤖
They are looking for 1 Observability Engineer who wants to work in their team, with an international outlook and a desire to do things well.
Their team is on a mission to deliver reliable services that help engineers at Bonhams do their best work. They want you to join as Observability Engineer in order to help them achieve their mission, because you’ll play a meaningful role in the day-to-day operations of services across Bonhams.
You'll work alongside engineering teams to ensure they're successful! How? Looking for opportunities to innovate everything while aiming for rock-solid operations. Far more than any specific experience or skill, they are looking for engineers who want to build extraordinary software, learn and develop their skills, and ultimately enable others to develop amazing applications. Because they believe that the only way to grow is adding outstanding skills and different perspective from the new engineers that join the team. They believe that every engineer brings outstanding skills and perspective.
As part of the Software Delivery Services & Infrastructure Team, you will be responsible for maintaining the platform in a reliable and performant state, helping to deliver reliable services and driving projects to a successful outcome. This role will focus on operating and supporting a distributed development workflow used by teams in Software Engineering. You will supervise SLOs, respond to incidents, seek issues, and ensure the service is up-to-date and secure. You will collaborate with engineering teams to implement standard methodologies and craft technical decisions. Once we have gone deeper into bonhams and if we talk about growth, you can become the person who leads the devops team.
Their applications are built using this stack:
- Python (Django, FastAPI and Celery).
- Our backend applications usually synchronise data between our source of truth and the different services / API’s / Applications, we use Django create endpoints to ingest the data and send it to message queues, Celery to process them and FastAPI to expose public endpoints where the data is consumed by our “views” (usually Next.js applications).
- Postgres, ElasticSearch and Redis.
- Next.js (node.js + Typescript).
En 1 mes
You will have completed your onboarding which includes meeting the whole team, being presented with our applications, systems and flows, setting up your credentials and getting control of the tools you will use.
Proactively monitor the applications and monitor / error tracking tools and:
- Triage errors / incidents.
- Discover bottlenecks / inefficiencies.
Adopt and apply Observability and SRE best practices inthe services that you support.
Keep users, key stakeholders, and leaders updated through regular reporting and communications.
Create automations for manual tasks.
Develop and maintain playbooks and runbooks related to actionable alerts.
Foster positive relationships with multi-functional teams.
Participating in on-call rotations.
This position will work very closely (embedded) with the Engineering Team, being one more member of the team, being focused on the overall system and data flow rather than in the application development.
Our team is lightly divided (we are 1 team) in 3 layers / subteams at the moment:
- Data: The own our data in their platform and send it to us using HTTP requests.
- Synchronization and Services: AKA Backend, responsible for ingesting, storing and transforming that data and exposing it as APIs (JSON).
- Applications: AKA Frontend, The consume the JSON and create interactive experiences for ours customers (at the moment only for the web space).
To achieve this, you’ll be able to choose your own tools. Just for your information, att the moment they use:
- New Relic (APM).
- Sentry (Error tracking).
- Grafana (Logs).
- Gitlab Pipelines (CI / CD).
- Azure (Infrastructure).
To ensure your success, you’ll be provided with:
- Hardworking and talented coworkers around the global that are ready to collaborate, mentor, and learn from you.
- Ownership to drive important improvements to the operational reliability of the services you handle.
- Opportunities to contribute to the standard methodologies used by SRE teams within Software Delivery.
- Training in technologies that maybe are new to you.
Bohams is a flexible company, they know that everybody is different and has different circumstances around them. They accept that, and they just ask the team people to be available during the main part of the day (10 - 16h) for collaboration purposes, but they don’t expect you to be 100% of the time in front of the computer.
They believe in productivity and that’s what drives them.
Día laborableJornada completa
lunes a viernes
Bonhams are again, flexible, whatever suits you the best, they have their own offices in London and you are welcome to go whenever you want or work from home. If you don’t live in London it is very likely that you will work fully remote.
From time to time we meet to see each other’s faces and rarely for meetings in person.
Their Tech team is formed ATM of 15 technical people plus some additions, such as 1 UI/UX designer, 1 Digital Content Manager, 1 Scrum Master and 1 Product Manager … but they are still growing!
They use Agile, and they’ve implemented Scrum working in 2 weeks sprints.
And something very important is that they don't want you to spend your time in meetings, maximum 2h per person and sprint.
Some people you’ll work with are:
Javier Bordalas: Lead Software Developer, A developer who focuses the production process by keeping the team unblocked and focused on the most fun part, coding.
Dylan Evans: Backend Engineer, Loves a challenge whether it’s programming or on the rugby pitch.
Humphrey Brandes: Product manager, the glue with The Business … he has a lot of experience in the auction world and is technically competent!
Alejandro Tabares: Head of Software Engineering, a developer with a pompous title who is always available to help.
This is a team passionate about coding and tech, some of them like cycling, others hiking / mountain sports, others football (most of them on TV only :-P ) and they all love to play weird card games on Fridays on an even more weird platform and have a good laugh doing it!
- Prior experience as an Observability Engineer, SRE, software engineer, or system administrator.
- Prior experience with APM services (New Relic, Datadog, …).
- Prior experience with Error tracking services (Sentry, …).
- A passion for providing reliable services at scale.
- Strong understanding of administration of Linux services and networking.
- Superb collaboration skills with excellent written and verbal communication.
- A positive and respectful attitude.
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity with microservices / service-oriented architecture.
- Azure (can come from an AWS background, but must be happy to work with Azure).
- Containerization (Docker).
- Working in the Agile framework (Scrum, Kanban, …).
Desirable skills, but not essential
- Development with Python
- Configuration Management (Ansible, Fabric)
- Setting up CI/CD pipelines (Gitlab, Jenkins)
- IaC (Pulumi, Terraform)
- Data streaming (RabbitMQ, Redis, Kafka, etc.)
- Data visualisation with Grafana
- Container orchestration with Kubernetes
Atención al detalle
Capacidad de autogestión
💸 Annual salary between 60k and 80k.
🏖️ 25 days of holidays.
📡 Remote work (if you want to .. you always can come to the office).
🕓 Horario flexible (online to 10:00 - 16:00h).
🗺️ Career plan.
💻 Necessary equipment to work in a comfortable way … a new Mac (unless you prefer something else), screen if you need / want …