Impossible not to know MasterChef, right? 👩🍳
Well, aside from the TV show, did you know that they have created a platform that allows food enthusiasts to explore cooking and mixology creatively, by discovering fresh recipes and techniques?
Their mission is to establish a gold standard in content and community tech platforms for food lovers and to expand their product globally.
Would you like to participate, leading the tech here? Please, have a look👀
👉 Before we begin, let me provide you with some context:
Although the MasterChef brand is recognized worldwide, and its television programs have been audience leaders around the globe, the journey of this project is relatively new. MasterChef World was born under the MasterChef brand approximately a year ago with the goal of creating an innovative and technologically robust product to bring the passion for food to all cooking enthusiasts.
This predominantly technical team was formed with the mission of creating a platform that, not only provides content to food and beverage enthusiasts, but also allows users to interact with content and each other, as well as getting to know experts and content creators within the food space.
The project kicked off in 2022, but it won't be until September 2023 that it will officially launch the product in Spain, coinciding with its presence on TV through the MasterChef Celebrity program. Additionally, they have plans to launch in Italy in December, in Mexico in February, and in the United States in July 2024. In all cases, these launches are designed to coincide with the premieres of MasterChef on television, allowing them to leverage the assets provided by Banijay. Banijay, the largest independent TV producer in the world, is a key partner in this venture, contributing the MasterChef brand and television assets, while they provide the team, know-how, and technology needed.
To make all of this a reality, they are currently looking for a Chef to lead this project. As the CTO of a still small team, your role will encompass the strategy, organization, and technological growth of the product. You will be a key figure and leader in a project with global impact, even though the team currently consists of fewer than 20 people (6 for the technical side). They are looking for someone with a product-oriented DNA, who is user-centric and whose primary focus is on scaling a local product to a global level.
Behind this ambitious project, they have both financial support and the freedom to operate, even though they are in the early stages at the moment.
They have no shortage of enthusiasm or resources, and you will play a crucial role in our organizational structure as the first person in charge of engineering and the product evangelist. You will have complete freedom, not only because it is part of their culture but also because they value your experience and trust your judgment in creating one of the most critical departments for building their platform under the most prestigious cooking brand in the world.
Finally, we have to emphasize the importance of the technical aspect since, at least initially, you will work closely with the rest of the team, and your involvement in technical tasks will be vital.
En 1 mes
You will have immersed yourself in the product and how they have decided to revolutionize technology, creating an innovative platform for all cooking enthusiasts.
By this point, you will be feeling the excitement and eagerness to get to work. You can't wait to dive in and start cooking up some top-notch software! 🍳🍳
Pioneering Technology: You'll be at the helm of their tech innovations, charting the course for growth and turning their product dreams into reality.
Tech Trailblazer: As the go-to authority, you'll call the shots on all things tech within the company.
Hands-On Tech Guru: You won't just steer from the sidelines - you'll roll up your sleeves and actively contribute to the technical side from within the Kitchen.
Dream Team Builder: Your mission? Curate a dream team, unlocking their full potential and propelling us forward.You will be in charge of important actions like: one to ones, trainings, hiring, individual improvement, etc.
Culture Guardian: Dive deep into the company's DNA, bridging the worlds of business and tech, and ensuring the well-being of our team takes center stage.
How? This is precisely where you will make the most impact. How you do it, that's up to you!
You will have a team by your side to brief you on what they have achieved so far.
The CTO will look for needs to play a partner role with Rafa, the CEO, almost like a co-founder. You will need to make the project your own and have the freedom to call the shots in your domain. Harmony is crucial, as is prior experience in startups with international reach and rapid growth.
Their plan is to open up new markets every 3-5 months, such as the US, UK, Australia, or India. You will be a hands-on CTO, and given the stage of the project they are in, despite what is our story in the past, they are still getting their hands dirty, and that may continue for a little while.
You will find colleagues who have joined the project because of the global potential of the product and, of course, the potential upside of the project in 3 or 4 years. A part of the Spain based team (Business, Marketing, etc.), the Tech team is currently based in Kosovo, and it will be the CTO's responsibility.
Nowadays, there are 6 members:
- 2 Front Mobile
- 2 Backend
- 1 QA
- 1 Project manager
As CTO, you will need to build a top-notch team, and you will have the freedom to do so, including assessing the current team and considering in-house vs. outsourced hiring, among other decisions.
Sounds exciting, right?
Here, you will be the one responsible for your schedule and work. ⌚
As long as your work is completed, everything will be fine. They prioritize results over just occupying a seat, so they are flexible in this regard, allowing you to organize your schedule. However, it's important to know that the engineers normally follow a schedule from 9 am to 5 pm.
Día laborableJornada completa
Currently, the technical team is fully remote and culturally diverse, but MasterChef World has offices in Madrid, and part of the team, including the C-level executives, usually spends some days working there in person.
In your case, if Madrid suits you, and you can manage to be in the office in person a couple of days a week, that would be ideal. However, if you prefer to work remotely and travel to the office every now and then, let's discuss too!.
The team is well-balanced, like the perfect blend of spices in a gourmet dish, experienced like a seasoned chef, and well-oiled, much like a finely-tuned kitchen brigade.
New staff will be added, but as of now, the tech team consists of 6 tech folks in Kosovo, creating a technological recipe that's as delightful as a five-star meal. And let's not forget about Rafa, Lorenzo, Alba (and the rest of the non tech team), the culinary visionaries orchestrating this gastronomic tech symphony!
- Rafa Ortiz (CEO) - Has more than 15 years of experience in the ecommerce and tech space. In the past he led the worldwide expansion of ticketbis, an online ticket marketplace, until it was acquired by eBay in 2016. He's Spanish, has two kids and love kitesurfing and traveling around the globe.
- Lorenzo Ceretto (COO) - Has spent the last 8 years running Operations and Sales teams in companies like StubHub, Booking.com in APAC region and Fever in the Middle East. He is Italian, single and ready to launch MC World worldwide.
- Alba Solana (Marketing Lead) - She dedicated her last 8 years working on Marketing roles on companies like Deliveroo, Cabify, Grosso Napolitano and Pizza Hut. She just joined MasterChef World bringing a ton of experience within the food sector. She is originally from Zaragoza, single and spends most of her time based in Lanzarote.
- Szymon Madzielewski (Tech Director) - Startup entrepreneur and client-focused technology enthusiast with over 20 years of experience in various markets. Experience in launching startups: coordinated new product development from design to product delivery, strategy and planning, and deliveries (CTO of 4 start-ups). Experience in managing cross-functional and distributed teams. Worldwide service delivery: worked with clients from the UK, the USA, Germany, Spain, and Poland.
In their wish list, they have given us both things to look for and things to avoid. We were so impressed with their mindset that we're listing the "Yes" and "No" points for you:
- They value backgrounds in Product, Software, and/or Technology Start-up companies. Years of experience are relative to them. What they're looking for is that you arrive with a rich history of facing challenges and proposing innovative solutions.
- B2C experience and international exposure.
- The ability to lead multidisciplinary teams and end-to-end projects covering all stages of a Software product's lifecycle.
- Proven track record or working with 3rd party implementations. Used to work with market solution and orchestrate.
- A technical background (such as Software, Mobile Engineer, Architect, SRE...) that allows you to be a reference when the team discusses technical challenges.
- Excellent communication skills, both formal and informal, both spoken and written.
- Mobile Applications experience.
- A commitment to continuous learning about new technologies and available products, including open-source solutions.
- Teamwork and the ability to collaborate and find synergies with other verticals.
- An innate enjoyment of working with people and for people.
You would truly impress them if, in addition...
- You've built teams from scratch and have experience in roles such as CTO, Engineering Manager, Director... or positions with high technical, strategic, and organizational complexity fast-paced environments.
- You speak English fluently and thrive on international challenges and exposure.
- Having experience in non-tech sector. Yes, they want to shift the paradigm - they want it to show!
- Not coming in with preconceived ideas or the belief that your work will be dictated "from above" because it won't be that way at all.
To give you more technical information, they are currently working within these technologies:
Buscan profesionales que tengan los conocimientos necesarios para desempeñar las funciones del puesto, independientemente de la tecnología utilizada.
Gestión de equipo
Trabajo en equipo
Capacidad de mentorización
Tolerancia a la incertidumbre
💸 Up to €80-90k
📡 Flexible work set up: Hybird and/or Office based in Madrid.
✈️ Decision making freedom and leadership.
💻 All the equipment you need to work comfortably.
Descuento en productos de la empresa
Dinámicas y eventos de teambuilding
Posibilidad de elegir equipo
You are only eligible for this position if you are a resident of the UE and living in Spain. If you are based in Madrid, that gives you extra points.
There'll be some interviews with:
- Szymon (tech lead - Tech interview)
- Lorenzo (COO - peer)
- André (Board member - cultural fit)
- Rafa (CEO)
It will be superfast since they need the CTO to join ASAP.